Kathy Holleger

This site was created to provide you with a quick method of keeping informed of Kathy Holleger's health and medical condition.

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Radiation

Yesterday was my first visit with the radiation oncologist at CTCA in Philadelphia. I also had a breast MRI. Tomorrow, I go in for a PET scan. The visit with Dr. Komarnicky was interesting. It looks like I'll spend the rest of my summer, at least 8 weeks, 5 days a week, receiving radiation treatment. Three areas need to be radiated. In addition to the left breast, the areas around my collarbone and under my arm will also get zapped. They'll use IMRT, a kind of 3-D radiation, to avoid damaging the heart as much as possible. On Wednesday I go for a simulation, where they do a CT scan of my body, put it into a computer, then plan where the beams will go during treatment. Depending on the results of the MRI and PET scans, I may or may not be receiving additional chemotherapy during radiation. It was nice to come home from CTCA yesterday WITHOUT getting any chemo! On Wednesday, I'll hear the results of the MRI and PET scans. I'll hear sooner if it's bad news.

We had Dianne's high school graduation over the weekend. It was very moving and personal. I am grateful to all the friends who helped plan and execute everything. You can view pictures online here. http://diannegraduation.shutterfly.com/
Dianne is about halfway through her nursing degree. The community college near us allows homeschoolers to begin taking college classes at age 15, which is what she did. She'll have her R.N. when she's finished.

There will be a big family reunion at my house on Monday and Tuesday. My cousin, Amy, and her son, Lance, are coming from Oregon. My cousin, Paul, and his family are coming from Texas, and my cousin, Michael, from Baltimore, may also be able to join us. It should be a lot of fun.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home