Kathy Holleger

This site was created to provide you with a quick method of keeping informed of Kathy Holleger's health and medical condition.

Sunday, November 05, 2006

Lots of Chemo

Every joy or trial
Falleth from above
Traced upon our dial
By the Sun of Love
We may trust Him fully
All for us to do
They who trust Him wholly
Find Him wholly true

Stayed upon Jehovah
Hearts are fully blest
Finding as He promised
Perfect peace and rest

--- from the hymn, "Like a River Glorious"

Thank you for your prayers. Things are going well. I finished radiation boosts last Wednesday. I am a little sore, but not as bad as last time - just a little blistering. I am back on full-blown chemotherapy and am finding it very tolerable. I go every Friday and receive three different chemo drugs by infusion, then take a chemo pill twice daily. I am also working with a naturopathic doctor through my hospital who gives me supplements that are helping to manage symptoms. I have chemo every Friday and can function just fine all week. My main complaint is tiredness starting in the afternoons, but I just rest! Beth has been cooking dinners and also supervising the completion of household chores. Thanks, Beth!

My main problem with all this is that my blood counts (white, red, and platelets) tend to go down. I am receiving shots - Neulasta (white), Aranesp (red), and Neumega (platelets) to keep them up. So far so good! I ask that you pray that my counts will continue to stay high enough, because if they aren't, I cannot receive chemo treatments. Not that I like it, but I NEED the chemo. My tumor markers (measures the amount of cancer in my system) have been steadily going up since April, even with aggressive treatment.

Next week is my week off everything and my naturopath is putting me on a detox program because I have been on heavy chemo for over a year and she wants to clean out my liver, colon, and kidneys. I will only be able to go on a modified detox since I only have a week. She likes to do at least 21 days, but a few days is better than nothing! I will also have a MUGA heart scan this week. The chemo I've been on, as well as the radiation, damages the heart and they just want to check on things. I also will be traveling to the cancer center in Philadelphia daily for a shot to keep my platelets up.

Thank you for your continued encouragement.

1 Comments:

  • At 5:40 PM, November 17, 2006, Blogger greg said…

    Hi Beth,
    We have never met but I recognize you from tug posts over the years.
    My prayers for recovery and strength are with you. Your trust in the Lord and witness is inspiring. May God bless you and your family.
    Greg Crawford(TUG)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home