Kathy Holleger

This site was created to provide you with a quick method of keeping informed of Kathy Holleger's health and medical condition.

Saturday, July 08, 2006

More Changes

It's been a busy week. One of the reasons I began going to CTCA was because I liked their thoroughness and attention. I liked that they spent a lot of time with their patients. But is it possible to have too much of a good thing? My visits there usually last most of the day.

On Monday, I was seen by an opthamologist here in Norristown because I have double vision and headaches. It turns out that my tear ducts and cornea have been damaged by the chemo and are causing these problems. They should improve as I get further away from the chemo. However, they did send me to CTCA for a brain MRI that afternoon to rule out any cancer in the brain. I had a CT scan instead, because they could not get an IV in me for the MRI contrast. The CT scan showed no masses. I am thankful for that news! I'll need to see a corneal specialist next week.

On Thursday, I received my weekly Erbitux infusion and talked extensively to the nurse practitioner. On Friday, I saw the radiation oncologist and the surgeon. It seems that the cancer has spread to the right breast despite that fact that I have been on 3 chemo drugs. This is not good news. I thought the surgeon would want to remove the other breast, but he said, "Not at this time." Both he and the radiation oncologist agreed that it would be better for me to receive radiation to that breast as well. They consulted with the medical oncologist (the one who orders the chemo) and agreed that I would take two chemo drugs while on the radiation. I will have radiation to my entire chest area, from the bottom of my ribs, up to my neck, and under both arms. I should respond well to the radiation, since most of the cancer is close to the surface, just under the skin. The radiation oncologist consulted with the physicist and changed the type of radiation I am to receive. Originally, I was to get IMRT, but it seems that 3-D-CRT will cause less damage to healthy tissue (heart and lung). 3-D-CRT delivers shaped beams at the cancer from several different directions. I'll get shot with protons instead of x-rays because they cause little damage to tissues they pass through but are very good at killing cells at the end of their path. This should reduce side effects on nearby tissues.

On Monday, I get an ultrasound and a mammogram. On Wednesday, I see Dr. Willis, the medical oncologist and begin radiation. I appreciate your continued prayers. I am comforted knowing God is in control and my life is safe within His hands.

Psalm 27:1 The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? the LORD is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?

2 Comments:

  • At 10:51 PM, July 09, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    In keeping with the spirit of the day, here is something better suited.

    Have you heard about 4-year-old Sammy who was asked to return thanks before Sunday dinner? The family members bowed their heads in expectation, and he began his prayer:

    "Thank you God for all my friends: Joey, an' Susan, an' Billy, an' Tommy," and on and on he went, naming each friend one by one.

    Next he thanked God for Mommy, Daddy, brother, sister, Grandma, Grandpa, and all his aunts and uncles.

    Finally he got to the food.

    "Thank you God for the turkey, an' the dressing, an' the fruit salad, an' the pies, an' the Cool Whip..."

    And then he paused.

    The pause was almost deafening, and all eyes were focused on young Sammy with his head still bowed in prayer.

    Finally (almost when Father was about to interject an "Amen"), Sammy looked up at his mother and asked, "If I thank God for the broccoli, won't he know that I'm lying?"

    Thanks for the reply!!

    Cindy (CSB on TUG)

     
  • At 9:50 PM, July 10, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Dear Kathy,
    I have been meaning to call or stop by for so long. Bob and I are leaving with Will on a youth group trip with our church to San Antonio tomorrow morning. I'll give you a call when we return so perhaps we can get together. I am keeping you in my prayers. Take care and God's blessings always.
    Love,
    Gale

     

Post a Comment

<< Home