Discomfort
On September 2, 2007, I passed my 2-year anniversary of being diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer. I spent that time in the hospital. On Friday, August 31st, I went for an appointment at CTCA and was admitted to their hospital. I spent the next 2 weeks as an in-patient.
One problem I had was the infection of the right breast, due to radiation treatment. They cultured the wound and found two different kinds of staph infection. I was visited by an infectious diseases doctor who ordered an MRI of the area to see if the infection had spread to the bone. The results were inconclusive. There was "increased uptake" in the rib, but they weren't sure if it was due to infection or not. They are treating it as if the bone was affected. That means six weeks of antibiotics. While in the hospital, I received daily care from a wound care specialist. Now that I am home, a nurse comes here every day to help.
The other problem I have is called pleural effusion. That’s when fluid accumulates between the lining of my lung and the lung. The did a TAP procedure where they used a large needle to drain off 1800ml of fluid (2000ml = a 2 liter bottle of Coke). I felt better almost right away, but the fluid started accumulating again. A week later they drained off an additional 1600ml of fluid. They tested the fluid, and found cancer cells in it.
After two weeks in the hospital they sent me home on oral antibiotics. I know that the fluid is accumulating again, because I’m finding it very hard to breathe. It’s hard to move from one from one room of the house to the other, without getting out of breath. I can’t go from a lying position to a sitting position without help. My back causes me continuous discomfort because it is covered with tumors which are constantly itchy with no relief. I have nausea everyday, which causes me to have great trouble taking my medications and keeping them down. In addition, I also have no appetite.
Once the doctors feel my ability to heal has increased enough, they will remove some of the tumors and do a chemo sensitivity test to tell exactly what chemo therapy will work on my particular cancer. Up to this point, I have received every known chemo therapy available for this type of cancer.
I don’t like to have a moment alone, so the family has been taking turns staying with me 24 hours a day. Also, my brother from California came for a visit last week, which was a nice treat. My mother and my other brother from Delaware also came to visit during that same weekend. They did some maintenance on the house, which was appreciated.
My friend Lori brought our friends from Scotland for a nice visit last week, as well. It’s encouraging to see friends and family, but hard for me to be comfortable enough to see people for any duration of time.
My next appointment with CTCA is tomorrow. Please pray for the following:
1) For me to be comfortable. Especially my breathing, my back and my nausea. Pain isn’t necessarily the issue, as much as “discomfort”.
2) For the infection to heal quickly, and for the fluid in my lungs to stay away.
3) For the doctors to be able to do the chemo sensitivity test soon, so that I can continue treatments. Right now, I am not undergoing any cancer related treatments, only antibiotics.
4) For my visit tomorrow to go well, and wisdom for the doctors.
One problem I had was the infection of the right breast, due to radiation treatment. They cultured the wound and found two different kinds of staph infection. I was visited by an infectious diseases doctor who ordered an MRI of the area to see if the infection had spread to the bone. The results were inconclusive. There was "increased uptake" in the rib, but they weren't sure if it was due to infection or not. They are treating it as if the bone was affected. That means six weeks of antibiotics. While in the hospital, I received daily care from a wound care specialist. Now that I am home, a nurse comes here every day to help.
The other problem I have is called pleural effusion. That’s when fluid accumulates between the lining of my lung and the lung. The did a TAP procedure where they used a large needle to drain off 1800ml of fluid (2000ml = a 2 liter bottle of Coke). I felt better almost right away, but the fluid started accumulating again. A week later they drained off an additional 1600ml of fluid. They tested the fluid, and found cancer cells in it.
After two weeks in the hospital they sent me home on oral antibiotics. I know that the fluid is accumulating again, because I’m finding it very hard to breathe. It’s hard to move from one from one room of the house to the other, without getting out of breath. I can’t go from a lying position to a sitting position without help. My back causes me continuous discomfort because it is covered with tumors which are constantly itchy with no relief. I have nausea everyday, which causes me to have great trouble taking my medications and keeping them down. In addition, I also have no appetite.
Once the doctors feel my ability to heal has increased enough, they will remove some of the tumors and do a chemo sensitivity test to tell exactly what chemo therapy will work on my particular cancer. Up to this point, I have received every known chemo therapy available for this type of cancer.
I don’t like to have a moment alone, so the family has been taking turns staying with me 24 hours a day. Also, my brother from California came for a visit last week, which was a nice treat. My mother and my other brother from Delaware also came to visit during that same weekend. They did some maintenance on the house, which was appreciated.
My friend Lori brought our friends from Scotland for a nice visit last week, as well. It’s encouraging to see friends and family, but hard for me to be comfortable enough to see people for any duration of time.
My next appointment with CTCA is tomorrow. Please pray for the following:
1) For me to be comfortable. Especially my breathing, my back and my nausea. Pain isn’t necessarily the issue, as much as “discomfort”.
2) For the infection to heal quickly, and for the fluid in my lungs to stay away.
3) For the doctors to be able to do the chemo sensitivity test soon, so that I can continue treatments. Right now, I am not undergoing any cancer related treatments, only antibiotics.
4) For my visit tomorrow to go well, and wisdom for the doctors.

4 Comments:
At 8:51 AM, September 25, 2007,
Anonymous said…
As I said last night, we are praying for you and the doctors visits today. Thank you for updating your Blog so that we can pray specifically.
Judy
At 8:52 AM, September 25, 2007,
Anonymous said…
cnxAs I said last night, we are praying for you and the doctors visits today. Thank you for updating your Blog so that we can pray specifically.
Judy
At 11:33 AM, September 25, 2007,
Unknown said…
Hello Kathy,
Thank you so much for updating your blog. I am praying for you and have sent your prayer request to the prayer team at my church.I wish you peace and deliverence from your discomfort.Through all you have endured you seem to maintain a positive spirit. I am truly inspired by you. Please keep us updated. We are thinking of you.
Royia G. - E O aka esylvan
At 10:36 PM, September 25, 2007,
Anonymous said…
Prayers for you here. I am so sorry this is happening to you. It's amazing that a little over two years ago, we were at the Manhattan Club discussing dieting and other things that don't really even seem to matter now. It is wonderful that your family can be there for you, and that you are such a close family. Stay strong.
Sharon
Post a Comment
<< Home