"Heat and Treat"
"Is it better to have a lot of faith in yourself, or a little faith in a great God?"
-- Konstantin Kamilchu
I started radiation treatments on Wednesday. I will have 20 daily treatments (about 4 weeks) and then they will re-evaluate. This is my third go-round with radiation. The previous two times I ended up in the hospital with severe infections and third degree burns. Would you please pray that things go more comfortably for me this time?
Some of you may be confused that I am receiving more radiation, since I have reached my maximum lifetime radiation limit already. Two things make this treatment possible. First, The areas being radiated this time around are not the same as those radiated previously, for the most part. The skin around the breast area, where I was radiated before, shows no signs of any tumor! Praise the Lord, the radiation worked in that area! I am now being zapped in the upper chest/ neck area and also around the abdomen to the waistline. So that's above and below the original site. Second, I am receiving a different KIND of radiation. Before, I mostly received proton beams, which penetrated deeply. Now, I am receiving electron beam radiation, which treats the surface. This kind of radiation is also harder on the skin, so I really need your prayers in this area! Despite the hardships, the radiation treatments have worked well for me in the past. I am optimistic about this round.
Here's a huge prayer request for you: My treatment plan calls for another machine, a hyperthermia machine to complete the treatment. This machine must be used in conjunction with the electron beam radiation. They must MUST be used together and I can't get treated at a later date with the hyperthermia machine. It's like baking a cake and going back later to add the sugar; can't be done. They call this method "heat and treat". I would go in for hyperthermia treatment and my skin "heated up" to 106 degrees, about an hour before the radiation. Then I'd go in and get zapped by the electrons. "Heat and treat". Problem is, the hyperthermia machines are rare and my hospital doesn't have one yet. They are in the process of purchasing one, but won't have it until AFTER my radiation cycle is finished. The closest hyperthermia machine is at Duke University in North Carolina, over 400 miles from my home. Would you make it your Easter prayer that God would provide a hyperthermia machine for me? As my friend, Konstantin says, "Is it better to have a lot of faith in yourself, or a little faith in a great God?"
If it is His will, I know it can be done.
May the "peace of God, which passes all understanding" be with you as we celebrate the resurrection of our Lord. (Phil. 4:7)
-- Konstantin Kamilchu
I started radiation treatments on Wednesday. I will have 20 daily treatments (about 4 weeks) and then they will re-evaluate. This is my third go-round with radiation. The previous two times I ended up in the hospital with severe infections and third degree burns. Would you please pray that things go more comfortably for me this time?
Some of you may be confused that I am receiving more radiation, since I have reached my maximum lifetime radiation limit already. Two things make this treatment possible. First, The areas being radiated this time around are not the same as those radiated previously, for the most part. The skin around the breast area, where I was radiated before, shows no signs of any tumor! Praise the Lord, the radiation worked in that area! I am now being zapped in the upper chest/ neck area and also around the abdomen to the waistline. So that's above and below the original site. Second, I am receiving a different KIND of radiation. Before, I mostly received proton beams, which penetrated deeply. Now, I am receiving electron beam radiation, which treats the surface. This kind of radiation is also harder on the skin, so I really need your prayers in this area! Despite the hardships, the radiation treatments have worked well for me in the past. I am optimistic about this round.
Here's a huge prayer request for you: My treatment plan calls for another machine, a hyperthermia machine to complete the treatment. This machine must be used in conjunction with the electron beam radiation. They must MUST be used together and I can't get treated at a later date with the hyperthermia machine. It's like baking a cake and going back later to add the sugar; can't be done. They call this method "heat and treat". I would go in for hyperthermia treatment and my skin "heated up" to 106 degrees, about an hour before the radiation. Then I'd go in and get zapped by the electrons. "Heat and treat". Problem is, the hyperthermia machines are rare and my hospital doesn't have one yet. They are in the process of purchasing one, but won't have it until AFTER my radiation cycle is finished. The closest hyperthermia machine is at Duke University in North Carolina, over 400 miles from my home. Would you make it your Easter prayer that God would provide a hyperthermia machine for me? As my friend, Konstantin says, "Is it better to have a lot of faith in yourself, or a little faith in a great God?"
If it is His will, I know it can be done.
May the "peace of God, which passes all understanding" be with you as we celebrate the resurrection of our Lord. (Phil. 4:7)

2 Comments:
At 11:10 PM, April 10, 2007,
Anonymous said…
Kathy...
You continue to be in my heart and my prayers. The Lord is our amazing healer. You are such an inspiration and testimony to His power!
Jenn Ward
ESS; Educate Online
At 9:22 AM, April 14, 2007,
Anonymous said…
Kathy:
We are thinking about you and the battle you are waging against this enemy. Prayers go out to you and your family for strength
Barb Collinson
BarCol on TUG
Post a Comment
<< Home