Second Chemo Treatment
Today I had my second chemotherapy treatment at Dr. Schnall’s office in Bryn Mawr. It went better than the first. The best part was hearing the results of Thursday’s PET scan. ALL CLEAR! Well, except for the left breast (from the cancer) and the bones (from the Neulasta shot). Those areas showed “activity” which was to be expected. I also got the results of my CA 27 – 29 blood test for tumor markers and it was within the normal range, 18.
My friend, Pam, came to my house at 11:30 am to drive me to my treatment. We both brought things to do during the treatment, but had a good time just talking instead. The port in my arm was still very sore from Tuesday’s surgery but they used it anyway to insert the IV. The port is completely internal (no part is exposed above the skin). They sprayed it with numbing spray, which helped some. Before the chemo was started, they checked my blood counts to see if I was able to take the chemo. My red blood cell count was low, so they gave me a shot to bring my count up. I must say, the shot hurt a lot, but I feel great; really energetic! The chemo administration itself was uneventful. I was especially encouraged when Dr. Schnall told me of a visit with one of her patients, Barbara, who came in last week for a check-up. Barbara had IBC FIFTEEN YEARS AGO and is cancer free! Dr. Schnall has successfully treated several IBC patients. We returned home about 3:30pm. My friend, Yolanda, had cooked us a nice meal, so that was a blessing.
I still have my hair, but it is thinning some. Please pray that I won’t get too sick in the next few days. Tomorrow I return to Dr. Schnall’s office to get a Neulasta shot to boost my white blood cell count. Please pray I won’t get the bone ache commonly associated with Neulasta; last time I didn’t. Randy and the kids are doing a great job running things around here.
My friend, Pam, came to my house at 11:30 am to drive me to my treatment. We both brought things to do during the treatment, but had a good time just talking instead. The port in my arm was still very sore from Tuesday’s surgery but they used it anyway to insert the IV. The port is completely internal (no part is exposed above the skin). They sprayed it with numbing spray, which helped some. Before the chemo was started, they checked my blood counts to see if I was able to take the chemo. My red blood cell count was low, so they gave me a shot to bring my count up. I must say, the shot hurt a lot, but I feel great; really energetic! The chemo administration itself was uneventful. I was especially encouraged when Dr. Schnall told me of a visit with one of her patients, Barbara, who came in last week for a check-up. Barbara had IBC FIFTEEN YEARS AGO and is cancer free! Dr. Schnall has successfully treated several IBC patients. We returned home about 3:30pm. My friend, Yolanda, had cooked us a nice meal, so that was a blessing.
I still have my hair, but it is thinning some. Please pray that I won’t get too sick in the next few days. Tomorrow I return to Dr. Schnall’s office to get a Neulasta shot to boost my white blood cell count. Please pray I won’t get the bone ache commonly associated with Neulasta; last time I didn’t. Randy and the kids are doing a great job running things around here.

1 Comments:
At 12:26 PM, October 11, 2005,
Anonymous said…
Kathy,
You and your family are in my prayers and thoughts. I am praying for God's continued hand on you and for strength. Praise the Lord for the many blessings that have already come your way!
Love in Christ,
Tori and Chandler
Philippians 4:4-7
Rejoice in the Lord alway: and again I say, Rejoice.
Let your moderation be known unto all men. The Lord is at hand.
Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.
And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
Post a Comment
<< Home